Museums and galleries make a major contribution not only to the cultural life of the country but also to health and well-being, to education and to the wider economy.
The UK’s cultural institutions are remarkably diverse, yet they face many common challenges. In the current funding environment we have worked with museums and galleries to maximise the benefits of charitable status and to build future revenue and sustainability. We are experienced in looking at structural options as well as innovative collaborations, from associations with other cultural bodies and local authorities or education providers to relationships with commercial partners. We are also familiar with the routine governance and operational issues that arise. We understand the need for sound practical advice addressing the legal risks faced, based on detailed sector knowledge.
Our work with museums and galleries has included:
- Advising a national museum on the acquisition of a major cultural asset
- Advising on the collaborative operation of a cultural site
- Establishing separate fund-raising support charities
- Advising on revenue generating activities including commercial sponsorships and commercial trading activity
- Advising on spin-out and alternative options for local authority museum provision
- Reviewing trusts attached to collections and dealing with changes where required
- Advising on acquisition under the acceptance in lieu scheme
- Defence of spoliation claims
- Advising a national museum on freedom of information issues
We are members of the Museum Association and the Association of Independent Museums.
Supporting charities and social enterprises is our core focus. Please get in touch with us today to discuss how we can support you and your museum or gallery.