The law and practice referred to in this article or webinar has been paraphrased or summarised. It might not be up-to-date with changes in the law and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice in relation to a specific set of circumstances.
Our team advises on and project-manages the sale or purchase of French property anywhere in France.
Trained by and working closely with tried and trusted, fully licensed, practising French notaires, our specialist International and Cross-Border team decodes the very different French conveyancing procedure into plain English.
We explain not only what is customary and what is not customary under French law, but also what to expect and when it is likely to happen.
We project manage the process from start to finish taking the burden away from you.
Importantly clients should contact us before they sign any documents (including anything provided by an estate agent) as such documentation can bind individuals to onerous terms, from which they cannot be released.
- Procurations – power of attorney.
- Copropriété – co-proprietor agreement where a building is shared, such as flats.
- Mandat exclusive – Sole agency for an estate agent.
- Bon de visite – estate agent record of viewing.
- Compromis de vente – initial binding contract.
- Promesse de vente – initial contract, binding only the seller.
- Promesse d’achat –Initial contract, binding only the buyer.
- Acte de vente – Final contract.
- Cooling off period/ Délai de rétractation – between compromis and signing the deed.
- Conditions suspensives - specific contract clauses.
- Plan cadastral – French land registry plan of the property.
- New builds/ Immobilier neuf
- Vente en l’état futur d’achèvement – type of deed for a new build.
- Listed buildings/ Monuments historiques
- French searches and surveys/ Dossier de Diagnostic Technique and diagnostic technique immobilier
- Amiante (Asbestos)
- Lead based paint./ Constat de risque d'exposition au plomb - CREP
- Sewerage systems. Fosse septique or tout-à-l’égout
- Certificat d’urbanisme - development conditions and permitted use of the building and land.
- Flooding/ étude géotechnique
- État parasitaire - infestation including termites.
- Electricity/ Etat de l’installation intérieure d’électricité
- Energy efficiency/ Diagnostic de performance énergétique
- Susceptability to other natural disasters/ état des servitudes risques et d'information sur les sols
- Gifts of French property/ Mutation à titre gratuity
- Notaire fees.
- Permis de construire - planning permission permit.
- Rights of way / Servitude
- Taxe fonciere.
- Taxe d’habitation.
- Wealth tax. - Impot sur la fortune immobillier
- Capital Gains Tax/ Impôt sur les plus-values