- Trainee Development Programme
As a trainee at Stone King we look for the best. Our investment in you is to become the future of Stone King and a leader in your chosen area of law. We are national leaders in the fields of Charity and Social Enterprise and Education and in addition have highly regarded teams in the Private Client and Business sectors. This level of expertise and choice provides a well-rounded and comprehensive training experience, the foundation of a successful career.
The short video below gives an insight into life as a Trainee Solicitor at Stone King.
- How to apply?
To apply for a training contract at Stone King, you will be required to complete an application form, which can be found on our Current Vacancies page.
Please see a timeline our graduate recruitment process below:
If you have any queries regarding training contracts, please refer to our Q & A section below or please do not hesitate to contact our Graduate Recruitment Team.
- Training Contract FAQs
- 1. Trainee Solicitor Requirements - Who will be considered?
- When we recruit trainees at Stone King we look for the best. Our investment in you is to become the future of Stone King and a leader in your chosen area of law. We are looking to recruit driven individuals who have a desire to learn and develop throughout their training contracts. We welcome applications from both law and non-law students, although if you have not studied law you must have completed the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) before you start the Training Contract.
- 2. How do I apply?
To apply for one of our Training Contracts you will need to complete an online application. If shortlisted you will be invited for an assessment day in either Bath or London. This will be followed by a final panel interview on 17 July – Bath & 18 July – London. We are happy to guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
- 3. What departments can I complete my training contract in?
Your training contracts will be divided into four six month seats, allowing you to get real hands-on experience. You will be able to gain experience in Private Client – Family, Residential & Business Property, and Trusts & Estates, as well as Commercial Property, Charity, Dispute Resolution, Education, Employment and Corporate & Commercial.
- Residential & Business Property
- Trust & Estates
- Commercial Property
- Dispute Resolution
- Corporate & Commercial
- 4. Are seat preferences taken into account?
Yes, you will be given the opportunity to discuss your preferred seats with us. We make every effort to ensure that you will be able to do a seat in a department which you are particularly interested in.
- 5. What are the chances of being retained as an NQ?
We recruit about four Trainees each year. This enables us to focus fully on excellent quality training and retention. We vow to work openly with you in your final two seats to discuss qualification opportunities.
- 6. Could I work in any of Stone King’s other offices?
As a national firm we have offices in Bath, Birmingham, Cambridge, Leeds and London. So our Trainees often complete a seat in one of our other offices. We encourage requests and will accommodate where possible.
- Job Description – what can you expect form your role?
Your work will be hands on from the outset, including; attending client meetings, drafting documents and producing research, working closely with marketing & business development on events and client relationship management. Providing you with the full skills set to becoming an exceptional lawyer. We also provide you with comprehensive ongoing training with frequent in-house seminars on different knowledge areas such as the compulsory PSC (Professional Skills Course) and external know-how events. Ongoing learning is something that will continue in your career at Stone King; we aim to be leaders in our chosen fields, often providing workshops and seminars not only for our staff but also for external clients on key areas of law.
- 7. What is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for Training Contracts will be 24 May 2019.