- Academy conversions
Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson announced the intention for all schools to become academies or part of Multi-academy Trusts at the Confederation of School Trusts Conference last week.
If you are considering conversion or would like to find out more, please visit Stone King’s information here.
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme: consultation
The DfE is currently seeking views on proposed amendments to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme, with proposals including amending survivor benefits and a phased withdrawal for independent schools.
The consultation ends on June 1 2021 and can be completed here.
- The risk protection arrangement (RPA) for schools: updated
Public sector schools can join the risk protection arrangement (RPA), an alternative to commercial insurance, which may save time and money.
This has been updated and can be read here.
- Everyone’s Invited: Schools’ safeguarding responsibilities
Partner and Head of Independent Schools Team, Helen Tucker, examines educators' responsibilities in light of Everyone’s Invited. You can view the video here.
Additionally, the Government review into sexual abuse in schools concludes at the end of May:
The DfE has announced a dedicated NSPCC helpline and Ofsted review into school safeguarding policies to support victims of sexual abuse. The review will consider a number of issues including:
- the extent and severity of sexual abuse in education settings;
- the processes that schools have in place in order to allow pupils to report concerns freely, and where concerns are reported, whether these are taken seriously and dealt with swiftly and appropriately;
- whether the current inspection regimes in both state and private schools are strong enough to address concerns and promote the welfare of children; and
As part of the review, Ofsted will (with ISI as appropriate) visit a sample of schools and colleges where cases have been highlighted, to look at how well safeguarding is working and discuss the wider issues raised by the evidence.
You can find full details of the proposed review here.
- Summer schools programme: updated
Details of the summer schools programme for secondary schools including funding, requirements for running a summer school and best practice evidence have been updated.
The aim of the programme is to deliver a short summer school offering a blend of academic education and enrichment activities.
Further information can be found here.
- Upcoming webinars and virtual event
To view a full list of our upcoming events, or for more information please click here.