Julian is a practising barrister specialising in the sphere of construction and engineering law (inclusive of energy, infrastructure and utilities).
Providing advice, assistance and representation to clients both in dispute resolution (including adjudication, arbitration, expert determination, litigation, specifically within the Technology & Construction Court (“TCC”), mediation and negotiated settlements) and drafting and negotiating work. The latter involves advising on standard forms of construction and engineering contracts (i.e. JCT, NEC, IChemE, FIDIC etc.) and advising and drafting bespoke construction and engineering contracts and related documents including appointments of consultants of various disciplines, collateral warranties and novation agreements.
Providing the above services to the private sector (including employers, main-contractors, sub-contractors, professional consultants of various disciplines and funders) and to the public sector (including local authorities and the higher education sector).
- TCC proceedings and related mediation in respect of auger-boring and trenchless technology dispute: acting for the specialist sub-contractor.
- Advising, drafting and negotiating an engineering/utility contract for a sub-contractor in respect of the procurement, design and construction of a secondary water and sludge treatment plant: EPC Contract.
- Acting for a design and build contractor in respect of a defective screed on a supermarket floor in arbitral proceedings.
- Acting for a charitable trust in respect of a dispute with an architect and main-contractor over water-penetration to a basement and ingress of water through the roof structure caused by defective design and workmanship.
- Arbitral proceedings regarding a dispute/difference over the construction and interpretation of a suite of contracts and related warranties in respect of the bespoke design, supply, installation and maintenance of engineering installations (including crane rail system) in Panama.
- Advising on and negotiating a suite of engineering/infrastructure contracts for the supply, installation/erection, operation and maintenance of wind turbines – both onshore and offshore.