Myles is an Associate in Stone King’s Corporate and Commercial team, advising on a wide range of transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, buy outs, corporate borrowing, private equity investments, start-ups, shareholders’ agreements, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He also regularly advises charities and purpose-led businesses in relation to corporate and contractual matters.
Myles developed and manages Stone King’s company secretarial services.
- Sector Experience
Myles deals with all aspects of corporate governance and transactional work, including:
- Governance reviews;
- Formation and registration (including partnerships and LLPs);
- Company secretarial matters;
- Debt finance and capitalisation (including EIS and SEIS investments);
- Shareholders’ agreements;
- Mergers and acquisitions, hive offs and spin outs;
- Joint ventures;
- Collaboration arrangements; and
- Solvent dissolutions.
Myles regularly speaks about corporate governance matters and shareholder arrangements.
Myles deals with a range of commercial matters for businesses as well as charities, social enterprises and schools, including:
- Secured finance;
- Service agreements;
- Catering contracts;
- Shareholder disputes and settlement agreements;
- Volunteer agreements;
- Venue hire agreements; and
- IP assignment contracts.
Myles has a wealth of experience in advising academy trusts, having assisted over 200 schools to convert to academy status between 2010 and 2015. Myles retains strong links with the education sector and regularly advises schools, in particular, on their obligations under the academies financial handbook.
- Company Secretarial
Myles developed and manages Stone King’s company secretary services which counts charities, overseas investors and banks among its clients. The services range from a simple registered office facility to a bespoke advisory role that provides governance support to our client’s decision makers.
Myles hosts regular training seminars for company secretaries and governance professionals.
- Academic Experience
Myles read history at the University of Chester and completed his Graduate Diploma in Law at the University of Law (Chester). While working for Stone King, Myles completed the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law (London, Bloomsbury).
Outside of work Myles actively contributes to the local community as a school governor and a charity trustee.
- Case studies / Accomplishments
- Acting as the sole corporate associate advising on the sale of an independent school to overseas investors. Leading sale structure and negotiations, drafting the heads of terms, business transfer agreement and ancillaries. Dealing with due diligence and disclosure and managing a cross-sector team of advisors.
- Acting as the assistant solicitor in the sale of an independent brewing brand to a Danish Brewery. Assisting with due diligence and warranty disclosures. Preparing ancillary documents including stock transfer forms, resignation letters, board minutes, deeds of novation and intellectual property assignments.
- Acting as the sole corporate associate advising on the hive off of a profit making software business from a charitable trust to US telecommunications company. Leading the negotiations and drafting the business transfer agreement, a concession agreement and ancillaries. Dealing with due diligence and disclosure, liaising with IP and Employment colleagues.
- Advising three entrepreneurs, on the acquisition of a large golf course and venue hire business. Leading the negotiations and drafting the business transfer agreement, retention arrangements and ancillaries. Advising on the finance documents and liaising with the lender.
- Acting as the sole corporate associate advising a national training provider on the acquisition of a competitor from a private equity group. Managing the transaction documents and dealing with due diligence and disclosure. Leading on the post-completion reorganisation of the competitor group including transfer of assets and dissolution of dormant subsidiaries.
- Acting as the sole corporate associate advising a bank on the financing of an environmentally friendly housing complex in the South West. Leading on the conditions precedent and liaising with the borrower’s solicitor to complete the transaction within a narrow timeframe.