We advise higher and further education institutions as well as the many charities and philanthropic institutions working in close association with them. We are familiar with education institutions that are exempt from registration with the Charity Commission as well as those which have registered over recent years.
Our work covers the full range of charity and related operational matters, from procurement and commercial contracts to property and IP, employment and immigration. We can provide experienced governance advice and assist with all dealings with the Charity Commission as regulator, from applications for the charity for consents under the Charity Commission’s enabling powers to regulatory engagement, including serious incident reporting. We are also often called upon to advise on collaborations such as shared services arrangements and major funding agreements. Our specialist charity lawyers focus on supporting you with tailored commercial advice.
Our work has included:
- providing governance advice to several Oxbridge colleges;
- rationalising permanent endowments and other charitable funds to cut administrative costs and enhance spending;
- incorporation of a University Catholic chaplaincy;
- advising on agreements for philanthropic support from major donors and their associated charities;
- liaising with the Privy Council including assisting with changes in Charters and Byelaws;
- advising on transfer of activities to independent institutes;
- establishing charities in connection with particular departments;
- advising on the creation of shared services arrangements for a group of Oxbridge colleges;
- incorporation of a students’ union with 200,000 members and advising on its relationship with its University, as well as operational matters, including its complaints procedures, freedom of speech policy and students’ societies;
- incorporation of a University Permanent Private Hall as a charitable company;
- advising a college on an appeal to the Charity Tribunal against a Charity Commission name change direction.
Please contact us today to discuss how we can support you and your institution.