The law and practice referred to in this article or webinar has been paraphrased or summarised. It might not be up-to-date with changes in the law and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice in relation to a specific set of circumstances.
Our expert International and Cross-Border team offers a wide range of legal services for UK nationals living in the US and/or own property there.
We can assist you with the following:
- Analysing your residence and domicile status and their impact on succession and inheritance tax
- Updating the succession of your UK assets including any dovetailing arrangements with your US Will or lifetime trust
- Advising on the interaction between the UK and USA legal systems and the differing tax treatment in each jurisdiction (liaising closely with your US advisers as necessary)
- Analysing any potential exposure to the UK capital taxation regime and the applicability of the US/UK double taxation convention to your circumstances
- Planning for any UK inheritance tax liability
- Assisting with applications for Federal Transfer Certificates to access assets located in the US following a death
Watch: US/UK Estate Planning with Stone King
Effective international estate planning for assets in the US and the UK requires a comprehensive approach due to differing tax systems and legal frameworks. Considerations include UK Inheritance Tax, US Estate Duty, double taxation concerns, and trust tax treatment.