The law and practice referred to in this article or webinar has been paraphrased or summarised. It might not be up-to-date with changes in the law and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice in relation to a specific set of circumstances.
Our highly experienced International and Cross-Border team are able to assist with a range of succession planning services for UK nationals who either live abroad or are due to move abroad.
- Project managing both the UK and the overseas jurisdiction(s) so that our clients only need a single point of contact for their succession
- Assessing which legal system applies to which asset.
- Working with our preferred foreign lawyers for any work needs to be completed in each jurisdiction.
- Calculating your UK tax liability and submitting UK tax returns where appropriate.
- Applying for a UK grant of probate
- Instructing and liaising with our preferred foreign lawyers, to calculate any foreign tax liability, file returns and settle any overseas tax liabilities.
- Co-ordinating and assisting with the signature of any foreign succession documentation, to facilitate obtaining the local equivalent of a grant of probate.
- Co-ordinating any UK and overseas tax liability to mitigate the consequences of double taxation and applying, if necessary, double taxation conventions.
- Providing HMRC with a robust analysis of a person’s domicile status for inheritance tax purposes.
- Advising upon and preparing deeds of variation, for the purposes of any post death tax planning from a UK and international perspective.