If a family member or friend lacks the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, our Court of Protection solicitors can provide practical help and advice.

If the person affected has already made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) and appointed an Attorney to manage their affairs on their behalf, decisions can be made as per the details of the LPA. If an LPA hasn't been made, you’ll need to apply to the Court of Protection to become their Deputy.

The Court of Protection safeguards the rights of vulnerable people and has the authority to appoint a Deputy to manage someone else’s affairs when they lack the capability to do so themselves.

At Stone King we specialise in managing the property and affairs for people who lack the mental capacity to make decisions themselves. We have the experience and expertise to assist Attorneys and Deputies with as much or as little help as they feel is needed.

If there is no one suitable to become a Deputy, or if you do not feel that you want to take on the responsibility, you can appoint one of our partners to become a Professional Deputy.

Some of the areas in which we can assist include:

  • Applications to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Property and Affairs Deputy
  • Support with administration and decision-making for Attorneys and Deputies
  • Statutory Wills and other applications to the Court of Protection, including lifetime gifts
  • Disputes regarding the management of affairs and finances
  • Disputes regarding best interest and health and welfare decisions
  • Deprivation of Liberty and safeguarding issues
  • Disputes regarding care fees means testing and NHS Continuing Care

The law and practice referred to in this article or webinar has been paraphrased or summarised. It might not be up-to-date with changes in the law and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice in relation to a specific set of circumstances.