Date updated: Tuesday 2nd April 2024

With immigration reforms for business due on April 4, we’ve detailed what immigration reforms mean for employers here.

We’ve also produced three helpful case studies below, highlighting changes and showing what steps employers need to take.

A charity is hoping to appoint a well-qualified candidate from overseas, Johan, to a post in the UK. 

Johan holds the relevant experience and qualifications and has already worked for the charity abroad. The charity is able to sponsor this post as Johan’s role is a genuine vacancy which meets the Skilled Worker salary threshold, and Johan meets English language ability skill level and finance requirements.

Before the charity can sponsor Johan, it must however first apply for a sponsorship licence. Once this is in place, the charity can use the Sponsor Management System (SMS) to obtain and assign a Certificate of Sponsorship to Johan.

Johan can thereafter apply for a Skilled Worker Visa using the CoS that has been assigned to him. 

If your organisation is interested in finding out more about becoming a sponsor licence holder and filling vacancies with overseas workers please contact Immigration Team.

A care home has two urgent carer worker vacancies and Esme and Precious, overseas workers based in the UK, have applied for the roles. They both have Health and Care Visas and say they are free to work full-time as their current sponsor cannot offer any hours. However, Heath and Care Visas are employer specific.  The care home may be able to sponsor Esme and Precision directly but must have a sponsor licence in order to do so. The care home should not offer part time employment (of up to 20 hours) to Esme or Precious, unless they are working full time for their sponsor in accordance with their Certificate of Sponsorship.  

If your organisation is interested in finding out more about sponsor licensing, the eligibility requirements of the Skilled Worker route and filling shortage positions with overseas workers please contact immigration team.

An over-subscribed state school is struggling to appoint a specialist science teacher - it has received applications from candidates based overseas. The school has offered a role to Lia, a South African national based in Johannesburg who requires a visa to work in the UK. 

The school needs to apply for a sponsorship licence in order to begin the process of recruiting Lia to the role. This application can take a number of weeks to prepare and will thereafter be decided by the UKVI. The school needs to consider timing to ensure that the licence is in place and that Lia has enough time to thereafter obtain her Skilled Worker Visa in readiness for the new term. 

If your organisation is interested in finding out more about becoming a sponsor licence holder and filling teaching positions with qualified overseas worker please contact immigration team.