Charity & Social Enterprise Team
Tom acts for a wide variety of charities and social enterprises on diverse legal issues including: novel charitable purposes, spin-offs from the state, structural re-organisations, including governance reviews, amendment of royal charters, trading issues, charity campaigning, charity appeals, mergers and charities specialising in health and social care.
Recent charity work includes:
- acting for the Royal Society, the National Trust and English Heritage;
- first registration of new charitable purposes Wikimedia UK (the organisation underlying Wikipedia) and local Healthwatch (local authority public health responsibilities);
- closure of The Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund;
- assisting DEFRA with the establishment of the Canal and Riverside Trust, the successor organisation in England and Wales to the British Waterways Board; and
- participating in both the NCVO’s and the Charity Law Association’s reviews of the Charities Act 2006 and the potential recognition of public benefit journalism as a charitable purpose.
Outside work, Tom is a trustee of Zambia Orphans of AIDS. Interests include the 'common good', charities and social enterprise/social finance.