The law and practice referred to in this article or webinar has been paraphrased or summarised. It might not be up-to-date with changes in the law and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice in relation to a specific set of circumstances.
We have a well-established reputation in the faith sector and we have a special focus on Islamic faith clients. Over the years, we have developed our Islamic faith practice and are proud to have advised a number of Islamic clients, including national and international charities, schools, mosques and individuals living both here in the UK and internationally, including Aga Khan Foundation, Muslim Aid and Islamic Relief Worldwide.
We understand that our clients’ reputation and integrity are important to their mission and objectives. We recognise the need to provide advice that is sympathetic to the religion and ethos.
Developments we have been involved in:
- Advising Islamic faith organisations that previously relied on the free movement of EU nationals
- Assisting Islamic charity with surplus land, including negotiating a promotion and option agreement with a developer
- Working with Islamic schools on education, charity and property advice
- Advising religious organisations on the need to sponsor Ministers of Religion / Religious workers
- Assisting Islamic charities with the incorporation of its unincorporated charity and the transfer of assets to its newly formed incorporated charity
- Providing a bespoke Shari’ah compliant will advice service
Issues we regularly advise on:
We advise on a wide range of issues concerning our clients, including;
- Constitutional and governance issues
- Charitable status and public benefit
- Charity Commission investigations
- Trustee responsibilities
- Discrimination and Equality issues
- Employment and HR matters
- Education advice for Faith schools (state and independent)
- Safeguarding of children and vulnerable individuals/adults
- Legacies matters and fundraising
- Data protection issues and intellectual property
- Immigration support and advice
- International matters
- Health & Safety and Regulatory advice
- Property acquisition, management & disposal/leasing/management
- Construction and Development
- Commercial and Financial matters
- Transferring missions to lay management
- School and charity mergers
- Dispute resolution matters
- Care provision
At Stone King, we understand the importance the Shari'ah holds in the Muslim world. We understand that some of our clients expect their funding structures to align with their principles and we work closely with our clients to ensure that these requirements are met.
Islamic financing relates to the provision of financial services in a Shari'ah compliant manner. At Stone King, we can advise you with regard to funding your property acquisitions by utilising various Islamic finance structures and have a close working relationship with a number of Islamic financial institutions. We are familiar with both the Diminshing Musharakah and Murabaha structures which are the two most common structures used in the UK when purchasing property.
Stone King’s faith team includes a specialist unit that advises on international and cross-border estate planning, wills and probate.
Specifically Stone King can advise on Shari’ah compliant wills, which ensures maximum flexibility and compliance, based on the client’s changing family circumstances.
In terms of probate and the collection of assets, Stone King has experience working with local colleagues to make Shari’ah court probate applications in Shari’ah jurisdictions both in a contentious and a non-contentious context.